Friday, October 19, 2012

Ottobre Designs: Funky Boy Pants for a Girl.

I've been getting Ottobre Designs since Mother's Day and I love them!  They are so lovely and come together really easily and well (once I figure out what they are saying).  I've known for a while that Eleanor needed pants, but I was able to procrastinate for a while due to summer and calling her too-short-pants 'capris'.  But now it is cold outside and she has officially become too tall for all her pants.  One of the reasons I waited was, because I couldn't find a good jean pattern I liked (or for free).  I was torn on using the Funky Boy jean pattern from the issue 4/2012, because the pockets really bothered me.  They are fairly long and low.  Out of desperation, I gave in and gave it a try.


They were really easy to put together, up until the fly, but I am new at flies so it is all on me.  The only thing I changed was the back pockets and I accidentally put the coin pocket on the wrong side.  I used the Bow Pocket Tutorial by Simple Simon and Co.  Instead of using their measurements, did cut the rectangles a little smaller to match the width of the pocket pattern better.  I love how they turned out, I just wish I had been brave enough to place them higher.  With the pockets so low it makes it look like her pants of falling down, which they were, but made it look worse.  I think that if I use this pattern again I will bring the pockets up a lot closer to the back yoke.


The waist seemed a little snug and low, but open in the back, so I'm not sure how long they are going to fit.  I don't think they were intended for children who still wear diapers.  They are kind of like skinny jeans that are extra long.  For the most part, I'm happy with how they turned out and so is Eleanor.

The flower fabric I used in the pocket make me especially happy.