Monday, January 28, 2013

Project Run and Play Sew Along Week 4

Love is in the Air is the theme for this week at Project Run and Play.  My main inspiration for this week was this super darling stuffed robot toy.  

I couldn't find where it came from, but I did find where someone made one just like it and shared how here.  I started with her measurements traced on paper, but cut one head piece, one body piece and four hand/feet pieces as well as a little heart.  I played around with them on a t-shirt and cut some smaller till I found something I liked.  (I was going to use ric rac for arms, but liked it better without.)  

Head: 1.5 inches square
Body: 2.5 inches square
Arms and Legs: 1 inch square

Then I cut those sized pieces from fusible web.  I ironed the body pieces onto some white knit and the heart from a scrap of knit from the shirt and cut those out.  Next, I positioned them in the center of the t-shirt front, stitched them down on the sewing machine.  

For the next part, I used a technique I also found on Pinterest, where she colors in her embroidery with crayon and irons it to set it in.  

I then added buttons for eyes and a bow.  I nearly added a skirt made from ruffled lace, but couldn't make up my mind.  I also used a back stitch with embroidery thread  to make the mouth.

I used the Elise pattern again from Violette Field Threads, this time with the short sleeve option.  I really love it, because it is so fast and easy and fits Eleanor really well.  This will be her third shirt made using it.

For the skirt, I used the pleated skirt tutorial from here.  I've wanted to make it since I first saw it, around the time it was posted.

I made it in the same fabric as the jumper from here.  I'm trying really hard to use it up.

I really like the buttons on the sleeves.

As well as on the skirt.


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. That robot Appliques is so fun! The details on the skirt are great, and I can tell that she loves it!
    great job Momma!
    with love

  3. I love the robot! My daughter loved robots at that age and I just think the applique is such a cute idea.

  4. Following from Take-a-look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts.

    What an adorable shirt! Loving the step-by-step and tutorials. Thanks for posting these!

  5. Plush robot was created by Little Brown Byrd Creations on etsy

  6. How can you not love a robot shirt? So cute and I agree with you, the buttons on the sleeves are a cool addition.

  7. What an adorable outfit! I love the robot. :)

  8. Cute.........!!!!!!

  9. Awesome...!!!!!!!!!!


Thank you so much for commenting! I read every one (including those ridiculous spam ones) and love hearing what you think!