Monday, January 7, 2013

Project Run and Play Sew Along Week 1


This year, I'm really wanting to expand and improve my sewing, so I decided to try to diligently follow along with Project Run and Play, though I'll probably skip week.  The first week's challenge was a pattern remix of The Cottage Home Mama's Party Dress.  My version was inspired by a prom dress I saw on (you guessed it) Pinterest.

Source
To make my version, instead of having a contrast band at the bottom of the skirt, I created two skirts and gathered the top one in 6 places.


 I also used snaps instead of buttons, because I was worried the mystery fabric I was using wouldn't hold up to it.


I love the big bow!


The tutorial was super lovely.  So easy and speedy!


Despite being unsure about the two fabrics I was using, I think it turned out rather well.  It reminds me of sunflowers.


After pictures, Eleanor insisted on staying in her new 'princess dress'.  She was so cute sitting there, I couldn't help taking another picture of her.




25 comments:

  1. That is super cute. Any little girl would love this dress! And it's so nice and cheery for this dreary time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Both of my girls love it! I'm considering putting it in with their dress up clothes so they can wear it more.

      Delete
  2. very cute!! love the bright sunshin-e yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is such a happy color! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. awww - the yellow is so sweet, and the mix of a gingham with the shinier fabric just gives it this great 'picnic princess' feel that I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the country feel it gives it too!

      Delete
  4. I love it!!! You and I have good tastes because that is exactly what I was going to do!!! lol!!! I might go a different route so we don't have the same sort of remix! Your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the gingham yellow and smart on the snaps! Really bright and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've been a little snap happy lately. So much faster than doing buttons.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love this! It reminds me of Belle in Beauty & the Beast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Beautiful job......I love this variation on the skirt. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the color is so cheerful, it would make a great Beauty and the Beast princess dress !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wanted one so bad when I was little!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first thing I thought of was Belle from Beauty in the Beast! I know my girls would LOVE it, what a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, especially when my younger daughter wears it!

      Delete
  11. What a cute remix! I love the pattern and shape of the dress. Such a little princess dress. Well done!

    I'd love you to link up to What Kids Wore Wednesday this week!

    http://www.onelittlemomma.com/2013/01/wkww-what-kids-wore-wednesday_8.html?utm_source=bp_recent&utm-medium=gadget&utm_campaign=bp_recent

    Kilee
    www.onelittlemomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute look.
    Love the yellow gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the yellow too---it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a little cutie! Little girls and dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read every one (including those ridiculous spam ones) and love hearing what you think!