Monday, March 24, 2014

Project Run and Play: "Put Me in the Zoo"

With moving basically done and living with my parents, I have a lot more time for sewing so I'm going to do my best to do the sew a long for Project Run and Play.  The first week's theme is "Put Me in the Zoo".  I thought about doing kitties, mice,or giraffes, and somehow got thinking about ants.  Ants led me to thinking about picnics.  So my idea was a red gingham wrap skirt with a curved front with ants along the edge going up to a shirt with a picnic basket.



I thought I had a pattern for a wrap skirt that I could adjust easily to the shape I wanted, but it turns out it was just a pleat.  So I did a mash up of Ruby Jean's Twist and Shout Skort with Violette Field Threads' Vivienne Skirt.  As much as I love the ruffles on the Vivienne skirt, I wanted something more play/picnic friendly.


I really think the ants make the skirt.  They are so fun!


For the shirt, I used the Seesaw shirt pattern #17 from Ottobre (yes again, I love my subscription!) from the 3/2012 issue.  The flutter sleeves are so fun.  I made the smallest size, but added length to where her heights suggests.  As it turns out, she must have a very long torso, because I should have added more length.


 Luckily, Laurel has the same waist size.  So the next time this is worn will probably be by Laurel.  All in all, I love it. 


10 comments:

  1. love the ants! I've sewn that top up several times, and it runs VERY short. I normally add at least 3''.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun outfit. Love the picknick skirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ants! How did you create them?
    Deborah
    sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My sewing machine also does embroidery so I found a free ant design and just repeated it all around the skirt.

      Delete
  4. That is very cute and fun with the ants. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea with the ants! And then to use the checkered fabric. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I've been toying with using the Vivienne Skirt for this season of PR&P too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read every one (including those ridiculous spam ones) and love hearing what you think!