Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Little Rain Clouds

I meant to blog about this a while ago, but forgot to get pictures.  Then today the girls just happened to both be wearing them at the same time so I took some quick shots.

Every year, on the first weekend of November, the youth group we help out with has a leadership retreat at the camp we live/work at.  On Saturday night of the retreat they always have a dress up (costumes rather than formal) banquet.  Each year is a fun theme and this year's theme was rain (thanks to a VERY wet camporee).  The attendees were supposed to dress prepared for rain or the opposite.  I thought it would be cute to dress the girls up as rain clouds.  So right after everyone else was finishing Halloween costumes, I was starting these.


I only made the skirts and leggings.  The bubble skirts were from a pattern from the book Making Children's Clothing.  It is a really cute book, but I've found the sizing to be all over the place.  This is the book that got me started on making clothes for my girls.  I had wanted to make the skirts using the same fabric I used for my ironing board cover, but I had less than I thought I did, so I used an old bed skirt.


I used an Ottobre Designs pattern for the leggings, but I don't remember which one.  I appliqued nearly 50 raindrops between the two pairs.  I highly suggest getting fabric paint if you are going to do something like this.

I thought about embroidering "I'm just a little black rain cloud..." or "Tut tut! It looks like rain!" but I was too lazy.  In the very least, I tried to get the girls to say it whenever I could.

This is what they wanted to do instead of standing still for me.