Recently, I bought a pattern in preparation for potty training (again). We've tried Pull-ups and hated them. We've tried panties only 3 day methods and had a huge breakdown. So now that the girls are having tantrums wanting to use the potty, we are going to try again. I wanted to try training pants so that it is a little less stressful than just panties and less messy, but it had to be reusable and inexpensive. I searched for hours upon hours for a free pattern online that I liked the look of and that I thought would meet my needs. I gave up on that. Finally, after more hours of searching on Etsy, I decided to give this pattern a try.
I liked the look of Elysium's Underwear Style Training Pants and loved that it could be used to make regular panties later. So I gave it a try. It was so easy, which was great, since I needed to make twenty pairs. I never had a chance to time how long it takes from start to finish (thank you my darlings), but they felt very speedy when I had a chance to work on them. The directions are very easy to follow with lots of pictures. I would say even a beginner at sewing could make these. The only problem I had was knowing which size to do was really unclear. I ended up making a test pair that I was pretty sure would fit at least one of the girls and then try it on them. After that I had a much better idea of which sizes I needed.
For the most part I used what I had on hand to make them. I used a bunch of old t-shirts and out grown/ holey/ stained baby sleepers. For the soaker part, I used three layers of scrap cotton batting. The only part I paid for (besides the pattern) was elastic. I did change one thing in the pattern which was that I changed the soaker part by adding a water proof section that I cut from an old jacket to help keep down messes. In whole, this was a very inexpensive way to get a bunch of training pants.