Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Project Run and Play Signature Style

Today, I uploaded pictures to flickr for the Project Run and Play sew along for the signature style week.  The jacket I made I've been working on in my head for a while.  I think it turned out really cute.  I started with the pattern for the molly jacket by Violette Field Threads.  

I lengthened the sleeves and made them a little more fitted, added a sash and some ruffles for a little bustle.  I also did the collar backwards from what they say to do to show off the lining, because I wanted to break up the denim more. (I was afraid the denim may look too biker chick for me.)  On the front I added some cute pockets based on the tutorial on ikat.  (Someday I need to make the quilt she put all those pockets on.) 

The shirt was a challenge.  It started out as a boy's dress shirt (another shirt from my uncle). I wasn't sure what I wanted it to look like so I spent way too much time scouring the internet for inspiration and direction in refashioning button up shirts.  I finally just gave up and started cutting.  I knew I didn't want the collar or the sleeves the way they were, so I started by seam ripping the sleeves.  I tried the shirt on Eleanor to see where would be a good place to cut the neckline and just cut how I thought it would look nice.  

Next I cut the sleeves to make cap sleeves and later when I was talking with my husband I decided they needed pleats.  The points were an accident that I love.  The pocket also got seam ripped and gave me the idea to put a bow on the collar.  After everything was cut or seam ripped that I wanted, I added the pleats to the sleeves, hemmed all the edges, sewed on the sleeves, pocket and bow and it was done. 
 I love how it turned out.

I made a bubble skirt a while back that I wanted Eleanor to wear for the pictures.  It was the perfect color and a fun texture and since it was too big with an adjustable waist, it gathers in the back like a bustle (super cute), but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Another fun fact about this outfit is that everything was reincarnated from a previous life.  The jacket and pants used to be pants that my husband ripped.